SBE backup to a network share on a remote USB HDD
May 17th, 2013
Comments Off on SBE backup to a network share on a remote USB HDD
What to do when you want to back up to an external (USB) hard disk on a remote server inside your local network?
SBE does not accept a mapped drive. You will need to access it as a network share.
Create a network share on the destination server’s external hard disk
- Create a folder on the external hard disk.
- Configure Network and Sharing and share this folder to specific people. To do this, right click on the folder -> Share with -> Specific people.
- Add accounts, e.g. the administrator account. Make sure that the permission level is Read/Write.
- Click Share.
Install SBE agent to the destination server
- From the source server (where SBE is installed), install RAWS to the destination server. To do this, open SBE -> Tools -> Install Agents and Media Server on Other Servers.
Change SBE Server services credentials
- If SBE Server services is running as local system, change to a domain administrator account. To do this, open SBE -> Tools -> Backup Exec Services.
- Click “Services credentials” button.
- On the new dialog box, click the “Change service account information”. Fill in user name, domain name, and password. Click OK.
- Click “Restart all services” button. After this process, click Close.
Configure SBE access to network shares
- To be able to access network shares, go to Tools -> Options.
- Under Job Defaults, click Network and Security.
- Click “Enable selection of user shares”.
Create new device which uses network share
- Under Devices, you can now create a new Backup-to-Disk folder utilizing the network share. Just type the UNC address of the network share.